November 14, 2008

My 'puter caught fire.


No joke. I was sitting there sorting email when the screen went black. No blue screen of death, no nothing. Just as I was beginning to get indignant (I take it personally even though I don't have computer skillz), I saw smoke out of the corner of my eye. The power unit inside our computer had caught fire and it was pouring smoke from under the desk. So I did what any sane, rational, calm person would do. I flapped my hands up and down and stuttered for a good 15 seconds before I blurted out "Fire, fire, fire!" And then Paulo looked at me all smiling and confused-like for another good 15 seconds before he realized I was serious. From that point on, though, he was a blur. He hustled pretty fast for a guy who just had surgery on his spine. Learn from us, people. Don't leave your computer running all day! And for goodness sake, definitely don't leave it running at night! I used to leave ours on all day and check it periodically- even leave it running when I left the house for errands. Can you imagine if I'd not been sitting right there? And our whole loft/art studio/ office area? Talk about a fire trap! Our file drawer was a mere 2 inches under the computer. This is on the heels of a fire this summer in a house belonging to some acquaintances of ours down the street- their clothes dryer caught fire and literally melted. So be fire safe! I mean- I have a thing for firemen and all- but not that much of a thing. Having them walk through my house to check our alarming CO detector and seeing my dirty laundry on the floor was humiliating enough for one year, thankyouverymuch. At any rate- save the earth, cut your electric bill, save your home and maybe your babies lives, and prevent your hubby from having to piece together a new computer by turning off your computer unless you are using it.