November 15, 2008

Super Yummy Salmon Chowder


I tweaked this recipe from a mommy-group cookbook in my town. I'd give due credit to the original recipe author, but I don't know her or how she would feel about me putting her name on here- so just thank "that other mommy" for this really yummy, quick, and nutritious recipe. I've made it 3 times and it's a huge hit at our house...



  • 1 pint canned salmon (*no self respecting Alaskan fisherman's wife would used commercially canned nasty pink salmon- so I substitute and use left-over flaked grilled Copper River red salmon and add extra chicken broth in place of liquid from can)

  • 1/2 med. onion, chopped

  • 2 stalks celery, sliced

  • 1 clove minced garlic

  • 2 T. butter

  • 1 large potato, diced

  • 2 carrots, diced

  • 2 1/2 c. chicken broth

  • 1 tsp. salt

  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves (I used fresh from my garden this summer... yummy!)

  • 1/4 tsp. pepper

  • 3/4 c. chopped broccoli

  • 1 can evaporated milk (13 oz.)

  • 1 can creamed corn (8.5 oz)

  • minced parsley

Drain salmon, reserving liquid; flake. Saute onion, celery, and garlic in butter. Add potatoes, carrots, reserved salmon broth, chicken broth, and seasonings. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until veggies are nearly tender. Add broccoli and cook additional 5 minutes. Add flaked salmon, evaporated milk, and corn. Heat through and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crusty bread- yum yum.