September 27, 2008

Pickin' Place





We went blueberry picking at Hatcher Pass with some friends this summer and took advantage of the late harvest from the cool temperatures. Paulo and I hadn't been picking since we were kids and it was the first time for our own children. It's one of the best memories I have from this summer. We picked until our hands and the seats of our pants were stained purple and it turned to dusk. Jacob was the "Great Blonde Bear" of the Matanuska-Susitna Valley, foraging for blueberries from my bowl. He ate them faster than I could pick them, the little stinker. We're looking forward to making blueberry muffins for breakfast some frosty cold winter morning. Looking out at the mountains surrounding us, I remembered why I love living in Alaska. I think this land is God's masterpiece.